Often when we feel unwell, a natural response is to suppress, ignore, or fight our feelings in an effort to control them. This results in emotional dysregulation, anxiety and depression, and relationship difficulties. It also cuts us off from our true selves and needs.
Emotion-Focused Therapy or EFT is a treatment based on the premise that our emotions are a key to our identity and a guide for decision making. When we honor our emotions, we create a space in which our authentic selves can grow and thrive. Unlike other therapeutic approaches, EFT does not assume that emotions are irrational and need to be controlled. In fact, controlling emotions is contrary to our human nature.
EFT helps individuals to:
- Access abandoned emotions
- Welcome, allow and regulate emotions
- Tolerate discomfort
- Honestly share internal experiences and feelings
- Evaluate meaning and source of the emotions
- Identify the source of unhelpful emotions
- Connect with themselves and others in a meaningful way
If you are seeking help accessing, accepting, and articulating your emotions, I encourage you to contact me today.